Saturday, June 13, 2009

Trip of a Lifetime

This morning Isaiah and Grandpa Frank left at 6:25 AM on a cross-country trip to Alaska. A week drive there through Canada, a week visiting cousins and auntie in beautiful AK, and a week drive home. THREE WEEKS my baby will be gone! I'll miss him - already do. Bit back the tears when they left this morning. Didn't want to start him out on a sad note.

I think I sufficiently packed enough to keep him busy for a while. Portable DVD player, Nintendo DS, lots of activity books, joke books, reading books. I found a Crayola mess-free (yay!) watercolor set where the paint is in the pen... and it only colors on this special paper. Cool! I also packed a blank drawing pad - he loves to draw. I told him to use it frequently - draw, write at least one thing about each day, use it for games he and Grandpa will play. We taped in a few pictures from home. They'll keep track of letters and numbers they see on road signs (that'll go fast), check off States and Provinces as they see those license plates, and I encouraged him to get postcards along the way and tape them into his notebook/journal (Nana's idea!). He also made "Flat Frank and Flat Isaiah" (like Flat Stanley). I had them laminated and he's excited to take pictures of them along the trip. Hey, another license plate game they're going to do is an acronym game. If you see a license plate you call out the letters (ie GJT). The first person to come up with an acronym gets a point (ie Grandpa's Junky Truck!).

So my boy is off on a road trip! Have fun with Grandpa honey. I love you and miss you already!

No comments: